After numerous other regional churches, the Protestant Church of Kurhessen-Waldeck (EKKW) founded its own archive in 1994. In 1997 it moved into the building at Lessingstraße 15 A, whose newly erected three-storey magazine building was pioneering with the "Kassel Climate Model". In the adjacent older part of the building there are offices and the reading room, which is open for researchers from Tuesdays to Thursdays from 8.00 to 16.00 hours.
The church books from almost all the parishes of the EKKW are mainly used here. These central sources for family research are gradually being digitized in order to make them available not only in the archive but also on the Internet via the church book portal www.archion.de.
Despite its young age, the Landeskirchliches Archiv Kassel offers a multitude of other sources from a millennium of church history. The oldest go back to medieval manuscripts, which were disassembled after the Reformation and used as bindings. Currently, these fragments are being scientifically determined and recorded in the Landeskirchliches Archiv Kassel.
Since the Protestant churches in Germany were established under state control and remained so until 1918, many documents of the central church authorities in Hesse-Kassel are kept in the State Archives in Marburg. The files of the consistories, as well as those of the subsequent state church office and the central church authorities, nevertheless provide interesting insights into the development of a state church since the 17th century in the Kassel State Church Archive.
Church life at the grassroots level is reflected in parish archives, of which the Kassel Regional Church Archive currently holds 110 as a deposit. They enable long-term studies based on the annual accounts of the church coffers, some of which date back to the time of the Reformation in a barely interrupted sequence. Their value for building, confessional and social history is gradually being discovered.
Ecclesiastical art is on display at the Landeskirchliches Archiv Kassel with the Mauer photo collection, which documents buildings of the parishes in the EKKW, and with bequests and estates: Architectural drawings of the 19th century are found in the estates of Friedrich Ernst Hoffmann (* 1824 + 1912) and Wilhelm Kuhn (* 1851 + after 1913). Designs, especially for stained glass, but also for murals and paraments are contained in the estate of Dieter von Andrian (* 1925 + 1992), the estate of Erhardt Klonk (* 1898 + 1984) and the estate of Erhardt Jakobus Klonk (* 1932). Sacred music is represented in the estate of the composer Herbert Beuerle (* 1911 + 1994) with autograph scores and other documents. All the above-mentioned holdings on church art can be viewed digitally in the Archivportal-D.